Chef’s Plate is a Toronto start-up that is redefining the way Canadians eat. We provide exceptional food direct to our customers online. Since launching in late 2014, we have been experiencing hyper-growth and we're looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to build the leading online food brand in Canada.
Reporting to the VP Finance, the Accounting Manager will oversee the Accounting activities of the Company, including month-end close and financial reporting, year-end audit, accounts payable and receivable, billing and payroll. This role is expected to develop a deep understanding of the business, as the candidate will be required to partner with all departments, as well as play an active role in establishing and improving internal processes and financial controls. The candidate will need to be adaptable to frequent changes in priorities, while being flexible to deadlines with short lead times. The candidate will also have the opportunity to mentor and develop two members of the Accounting team.
- Manage all aspects of the Accounting function, including billing, accounts payable and receivable, inventory accounting, General Ledger (GL), month-end close and financial reporting in accordance to Accounting Standards for private enterprises (ASPE).
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of accruals, including proper coding and recording of revenue and expenditures.
- Review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Review and approve payments as required.
- Ensure that all assets and liabilities are properly controlled and effectively managed.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements and manage year-end close process.
- Prepare reliable and accurate financial statements with commentary on period-over-period variances within established timeframes, including review of departmental expenses, financial statements and accounts to identify anomalies requiring action.
- Prepare and provide ad-hoc reporting/analysis/research to assist business decision-making.
- Review and approve the completeness and accuracy of payroll.
- Ensure all financial systems, controls and policies are in compliance with government regulatory bodies and tax requirements.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to continuously augment internal controls.
- Identify opportunities to improve department processes and productivity.
- Assist with special projects, including system enhancements and new processes to increase the timeliness of financial reporting.
- Coordinate and execute year-end audit engagement with external auditors.
- Research and remain up-to-date on new accounting procedures and their effect on financial statements.
- Act as a strong business partner to communicate, manage and resolve system and process related issues with respective departments.
- Mentor, guide and train two team members to drive a high-level of performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting and Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive accounting experience.
- Solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work within established deadlines and with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high growth and rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage competing deliverables based on urgency and importance.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft applications (i.e. Excel, Word, etc.).
- Process-oriented with desire and track record to improve current processes.
- A “team player” mentality with a flexible and collaborative approach to completing tasks, including “rolling up sleeves” and working alongside team members as required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentations and meeting facilitation.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills with a proven ability to build relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to oversee the performance of other Accounting team members.
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto
- Large opportunity for increased responsibility and growth in the company
- Employee discounts on all Chefs Plate weekly meals