Chefs Plate is the first meal kit company to make its footprint in Canada. We are passionate about redefining how Canadians eat and we provide delicious food direct to our customers online. Since launching in late 2014, we have been experiencing hyper-growth and we are looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to build the leading online food brand in Canada. We built Chefs Plate with one simple belief: eat better, live better.
In October 2018, HelloFresh Inc. saw something special in Chefs Plate and brought it into the HelloFresh family. Chefs Plate is now part of one of the fastest growing start-ups in Canada, and part of the world’s largest meal kit family as we tirelessly work to disrupt the food industry.
We remain focused on delivering delicious meals, designed for busy people, and continue our mission to create human connections through food.
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Assistant Production Manager will be responsible for continuous improvement activities across the facility.
The Assistant Production Manager monitors operations of the production department to ensure that qualitative and quantitative measures included in the operating plan are met. Specific focus is on sanitation and quality results, health and safety, good manufacturing practices, and productivity. The Assistant Production Manager maintains the requirements on food safety and quality. Other areas of focus are employee relations, production scheduling and staffing, cost reductions and liaising with our suppliers.
This position functions as a key team member of the Production Department, working to support operational strategies, policies, procedures and management.
- Motivate diverse workforce towards continuous improvement in production, quality and safety goals;
- Proactive involvement in maintaining safety rules, employee safety education, and improving safety awareness throughout the facility;
- Validate accuracy of data required for the execution of operations particularly at critical points operational execution;
- Track performance metrics and act proactively to resolve any potential issues;
- Develop and maintain training package, standard operations procedures and policies;
- Participate in the identification and prioritization of the improvement projects
- Report any production related issues specific to quality and down time to Production Manager and supports direction to address these issues;
- Ensure all documentation and checks are being completed in adherence to standard work checklist;
- Liaise with Quality, Maintenance, Receiving and Production to minimize downtime and ensure product safety and quality;
- Ensures consistent application of best practices towards product evaluation, food safety and quality to support and maintain Chefs Plate quality standards;
- Acts as a mentor to Production Supervisors, coaching and guiding them in their daily activities;
- Plays an active role in continuous improvement initiatives and projects that impact the production department;
- Collaboratively delivers sanitation practices and methodology to teams, ensuring documentation principles that support our sanitation program have been met;
- Supports the labour scheduling of the production department and works with the Production Manager to identify opportunities for improvement in labour coverage and costs;
- Participates as management member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee representing the production department;
- In the absence of the Production Manager, leads the production department through daily meetings, activities and efficient operation of the facility with other Assistant Production Managers;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College Diploma or experience in a relevant field
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a supervisor
- Superior planning and organization skills to run and monitor the production process
- Ability to act decisively to solve employee and equipment-related problems with attention to detail to ensure high levels of quality
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a food production or processing environment
- Leadership Manufacturing experience - an asset
- Must have a mechanical aptitude and be willing to work a variety of shifts including - evenings, weekends and holidays as business needs require
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Knowledge of quality assurance (HACCP) is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to think analytically
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented, possess high degree of initiative, work well under pressure
- Prior experience in Quality Control and/or Operations within the, Beverage or Food Processing industry an asset
- Strong knowledge of food safety practices preferred
- Knowledge of food preparation equipment, materials, and supplies, including maintenance and care requirements
- Ability to work in a refrigerated environment
- Opportunity for advancement with one of Canada's fastest growing Start-Ups
- Employee discounts on all Chef’s Plate weekly meals
- Opportunity to work with a highly engaged team
- A company culture that promotes out of the box thinking