Chefs Plate is the first meal kit company to make its footprint in Canada. We are passionate about redefining how Canadians eat and we provide delicious food direct to our customers online. Since launching in late 2014, we have been experiencing hyper-growth and we are looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to build the leading online food brand in Canada. We built Chefs Plate with one simple belief: eat better, live better.
In October 2018, HelloFresh Inc. saw something special in Chefs Plate and brought it into the HelloFresh family. Chefs Plate is now part of one of the fastest growing start-ups in Canada, and part of the world’s largest meal kit family as we tirelessly work to disrupt the food industry.
We remain focused on delivering delicious meals, designed for busy people, and continue our mission to create human connections through food.
The Director of Engineering is a key leadership position overseeing all software engineering efforts and scaling our small (but extremely talented) team to take the business to the next level. This role reports directly to the CTO and works closely with other leaders in the business.
In this role you will:
- Work effectively with Product and Design counterparts towards a common goal of delivering great digital experiences to our customers
- Play a key role in ensuring the ongoing alignment of our technology with the overall business strategy for the company
- Hire, inspire, manage, and grow the engineering team, ensuring every engineer has adequate growth opportunities
- Refine our engineering culture and processes
- Apply best practices throughout the entire software delivery lifecycle
- Apply continuous delivery and DevOps best practices to our software delivery process
- 6+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 3+ hands-on technical and people management experience (leading both engineers and managers)
- Demonstrable past experience with Agile methodologies, with a strong focus on data-driven experimentation, lean thinking and quick iterations
- Proven track record of complex and creative problem solving and the desire to create and build new processes
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, ability to build effective communication structures in a fast growing engineering organization
- Coached and mentored engineers (and ideally other managers) in their careers, acting as a true multiplier across the organization
- Ability to stay calm and deal well with ambiguity, acting as a pragmatic unblocker of your teams and the organization as a whole
- Eagerness to have a clear, measurable impact, through the teams you lead, on the company’s business goals
- Proven ability to influence others and facilitate agreement among stakeholders with different interests
- A broad range of skills and experience across multiple frontend and backend technologies
- Proven ability to manage all aspects of a technical project from concept to implementation
- DevOps and infrastructure engineering (AWS) experience
- Delivered a range of projects across many verticals including ecommerce, ERP systems and manufacturing
- A passion for food and cooking!
- You take responsibility from Day 1
- You work in a dynamic environment
- We offer an agile work environment, latest technology and ample opportunities to implement your own ideas
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive salary and company benefits
- 75% discount on Chefs Plate boxes
- Work with a diverse, high-performing and international team