Chefs Plate is a Toronto start-up that is redefining the way Canadians eat. We provide exceptional food direct to our customers online. Since launching in late 2014, we have been experiencing hyper-growth and we're looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to build the leading online food brand in Canada.
Our Culinary Innovation team is seeking a Director of Product Development to help support the growth of our company. Reporting to the VP of Product Innovation, the successful candidate is an experienced leader responsible for leading a team of recipe developers. He / She provides direction to execute weekly menus consistent with the Customer’s vision, focusing on quality and on-time development. The Director partners with Strategic Sourcing to ensure each recipe fits the requirements of our business while meeting the needs of our Customer. This role requires a high level of influence, cross-functional partnership and the ability to bring solutions to problems of unusual complexity.
- Strategize and develop weekly food menus, across all Chefs Plate plans
- Lead and direct the recipe development team
- Own the process of new product creation end-to-end, beginning with research and ideation and ending with hands on recipe development and rollout
- Manage recipe card and asset development, including freelancers where necessary
- Maintain relevant knowledge of consumer trends and culinary industries while simultaneously becoming an expert on preferences through extensive research and immersion
- Collaborate with the Director of Product Innovation to ideate and develop exciting and innovative products across our business
- Work closely with the buying teams on menu creation and pricing
- Working closely with recipe developers, promoting a strong food and innovation culture
- Developing a thoughtful strategy around product evolution that addresses adapting our offering to a multichannel customer demand environment - utilizing various customer ordering and food production scenarios.
- Full ownership and adaptation of the new product development cycle.
- Regular reporting on menu and product performance. Identifying opportunities and strategies to improve costs.
- Working cross-functionally with supply chain, product innovation, marketing and operations to integrate product development plans and new product offerings throughout the company in a collaborative, efficient, and profitable manner.
- Post-secondary education: Culinary and Business Administration
- Minimum 5 years progressive culinary experience in a complex and demanding environment, managing a team of Recipe developers
- Experience in managing culinary photography
- Possess an infectious passion for food that spreads throughout the entire Chefs Plate team
- Possess a creativity that can create trends and not just replicate them
- A willingness to learn and understand our customer base and their product preferences
- Able to design and manage focus-group tests
- Deep proficiency in costing menu items and developing recipes and steps of service to replicate items reliably at scale
- Experience in sourcing ingredients and working with supply chain teams
- Able to translate strategic menu design into tangible menu items and products
- Able to troubleshoot and diagnose all menu item inconsistencies or issues
- Adaptable to frequent change and relentlessly driven to innovate
- Leadership experience in professional kitchens required
- Culinary strategy, product development, menu design or consulting experience strongly preferred
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto
- Large opportunity for increased responsibility and growth in the company
- Employee discounts on all Chefs Plate weekly meals